BY Gladys Mukisa
Bickering and intrigue among the Uganda Human Rights Commission (UHRC) administrators has gained intensity with now one of its Commissioners Simeo Nsubuga daring the Commission’s chairperson Mariam Wangadya over her mooted plan of dragging him to Court for championing a smear campaign against her.
Clashes among the statutory national human rights body leaders were triggered by the recent draft status report to the appointing authority also the head of state Gen. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, exposing the alleged rot at the Commission, including claims of mismanagement.
This news Website understands that three Commissioners of the six-member Commission were the drafters of the report, including Jacklet Atuhairwe, Stephen Basaliza and Simeo Nsubuga.
The said report according to the insiders is what informed president Museveni’s directive to the Inspector General of Government justice Aisha Batala Naluzze to institute a probe into the claims.
In her letter to the UHRC’s Secretary dated March 25, 2026 seen by this Website, justice Naluzze confirmed, the Commission is under investigation by her office on allegations of maladministration, corruption and abuse of office arising, out of filed complaints by its members, although she could not cite any names.
Naluzze who requested the UHRC Secretary to make himself and any other officer under his charge available for interrogation, introduced to the interviewees Kharim Ainomugisha and Zakaria Tiberindwa as assigned investigators, before she could call for their cooperation.
Insiders also confirmed to Blazer News Times that the State House Anti-Corruption Unit (SHACU) team was concurrently part of the team.
The Commission has since then been thrown in disarray culminating into wrangling, cronyism and divisions amongst its Commissioners with two of the three publicly accusing Wangadya and Crispin Kaheru another Commissioner, of orchestrating corruption dealings internally to the point of causing the tax payer’s financial loss.
Wangadya in a Friday June 19, 2026 news interview with Cbs FM Radio, distanced herself from the claims linking her to any form of investigation, saying it was Nsubuga behind the smear campaign against her. “Claim that I stole property, I stole vehicles, that is Simeo Nsubuga you host every Saturday. Time has come to sue him for defaming me. It is not true that I am under any investigation”, Wangadya emphasized.
Simeo Nsubuga Fires Back at Wangadya.

Speaking exclusively to Blazer News Times, Nsubuga dismissed Wangadya’s claims, tasking her to produce evidence incriminating him over alleged defamation.” What Wangadya says that Simeo talks about her, let her produce the proof”, Nsubuga said.
However, Nsubuga also a former Police Spokesperson and MP firmly expressed readiness to face off with the former judicial officer should she drag him to Court.
State House Anti-Corruption Unit Not in Wangadya Probe
When reached out by this Website to confirm whether Wangadya’s led Commission is under any form of investigation by the State House Anti-Corruption Unit (SHACU) team, its Spokesperson Mariam Natasha dispelled the claims.
“We are not having any case against Uganda Human Rights Commission. We are not handling any issue with the Commission” Natasha told Blazer News Times in a phone call interview.
Stalemate at the Commission.
Nsubuga confirmed that the prevailing stalemate at the national human rights watch dog which has adversely affected its daily operations.
“The Commission by the law sits monthly but has taken 4 -months without sitting. Under normal practice, you can’t go on leave for un specified period. The last communication I saw my chairperson showed went on leave but never showed when she will return”.
The six Commission administrative team members tenure is valid for six years.
Whether the storm amongst the Uganda human rights body ship steerers can settle and normalcy returns, only time can tell.
