When heightened security operation coupled with thorough searches mounted at the former speaker Annet Anita Among’s Kampala- Nakasero and other residences in mid-May this year, it was reported that sacks of large sums of cash in billion shillings and dollars were recovered.
The operation that saw Detectives from the Criminal Investigations Directorate and forensic services supported by Defence Intelligence and Security operatives, had aimed at investigating allegations of Among’s involvement into corruption, money laundering and illicit enrichment.
The developments had created a narrative that sparked public demand for her speedy prosecution, Court arraignment and trial with slapped charges while relying upon the said evidence, which though is yet to happen.
However, Blazer News Times has exclusively learnt from multiple sources familiar with the matter that no cash piles have ever been recovered, which has since then complicated her prosecution.
According to sources, following Among’s stormy last state house meeting with president Museveni that culminated into her ejection from the speakership race, indication was, difficult times were not very far from facing Among.
Multiple sources allege, that as the security operatives set to raid her Nakasero residence on Saturday May 16, Among luckily received information earlier from insiders indicating how her home was going to be raided later in the day, hence enabling her to swiftly put her house in order.
It is from this point according to sources that the Bukedea District Woman MP applied what they described as the mafia tactics when she moved away the said physical billion cash using one of her confidantes and hired mercenaries, that by the time her home was stormed, it could not easily be traced.
What made the matter more complicated according to the sources, is investigators to trace nothing in one of the suspected locations where money had allegedly been transferred after storming it based on the lead information pointing out to the same.
However, one source said the only cash that was found in the former speaker’s house is the less than 150 million shillings with paper trail including receipts, since it had just been withdrawn from one of her banks (names withheld), to help her facilitate her parliamentary speakership campaigns, considering that it was around an election time.
It was reported that among the recovered items from Among’s house was five sacks of money in local and foreign currencies during searches.
However, sources wonder why the said recovered cash sacks have never been publicly exhibited like it was the case with impounded luxurious Rolls Royce car that was towed in what appeared to be a strategic display around Kampala city streets.
Anita Among’s Hidden Physical Cash Puzzles the State.
Sources familiar with the matter told this news Website that the whereabouts of the said physical cash has ever since proven to be a puzzle to the state considering that it may threaten the regime survival.
They pointed out Among’s singular campaign funding to several NRM parliamentary flag bearers in the January 15,2026 elections, yet the party had not given them money, which though the party chairperson Gen. Museveni got to know about. NRM parliamentary MP candidates’ campaign facilitation was notably cashed out to them later.
Sources say, that it is one of the reasons as to why the state is still restraining her movements by keeping her under her house in Nakasero. Sources additionally allege that it is why arraigning her in Court has over delayed.
Among is also the current national 2nd NRM party vice chairperson (women).
